Muggle-borns are a clear allegory for trans folk. Let's focus on Hermione: She was born into a life that didn't match with who she truly was. Then, around puberty (though surely glimpsed through moments throughout her life), rather than follow the expected trajectory, she had the chance to take a different path, one that matches her to her core.1 Her parents don't fully understand this, but they support her where they can.2 Some people in this new world are more accepting, while others hold prejudice and cite Muggle-borns as unnatural and taking resources from properly blooded wizards and witches. There are even slurs hurled her way by members of bloodline supremacist families. Meanwhile, Hermione is working twice as hard as her peers who grew up in wizarding families who were able to pick up a lot via cultural diffusion. There are probably times when she's tempted to do things the Muggle way, but holds off so that she fits in better and doesn't challenge the status quo.3
Let's skip ahead to her fourth year. At one point, she has the chance to change an aspect of her appearance in a way that circumvents the longer, more "natural" methods. Ron, who has been close to her throughout her Hogwarts experience, voices a moment of clarity in which he remembers that she is, in fact, a girl, and therefore eligible for a gender-specific opportunity. Unfortunately, a newcomer, who was not there through this transition and may not be aware of her blood status, asks her to the ball first. There are a number of other women who are jealous of these events, with some seeming as though they she is undeserving of this honor. There are some that are happy for her.
As her story progresses, she takes more ownership of her life and is willing to take chances that put her more in the spotlight. She's caught up in a war that is targeting folks like herself. There are even laws passed to restrict Muggle-borns' access to basic rights. To infiltrate the Ministry, she disguises herself as a Ministry worker, who is probably of the proper blood status to continue working there.
During the epilogue, many have pointed out that Hermione and Ron's children have the most normal names. This might be because all of their children are adopted, possibly all Muggle-borns who were disowned by their Muggle families for being weird.4
Molly Weasley has always been portrayed as an extremely accepting mother figure. She has 7 children of her own and, despite not being very wealthy, gladly welcomes the friends of her children into her family. Also, based on statistics alone, there is a high chance of at least one of her children being queer. I can't help but seeing her as akin to the over enthusiastic PFLAG mom meme. Hermione tends to stay with Ginny, as both are women and Molly treats them both as such.5
One final aspect to consider is how this major life change could be classified: One might say that she transitioned from mtw.6
Sorry, JK Rowling, I don't make the rules. Muggle-borns are clearly transfolk, and Hermione is a transwoman of color.7
1Kinda like puberty blockers
2I'm sure that some Muggle-borns' parents have cast them out, or even submitted their kids to torture and/or death.
3If I was in that position, I would definitely return after the holiday break (or second year, depending on if I took a break) with obnoxious school supplies. That would mean pens and pencils, notebook paper, an Animorphs notebook for Transfiguaration, some naturey themed notebook for Herbology, Robert Lyn Nelson notebook for Astronomy, a glitter-covered notebook for Charms, something with Da Vinci designs for History of Magic, and the most happy-looking Lisa Frank notebook for Potions. While I do realize that I might have the time-frame of these pop culture things mixed up a little, I figured I just go full Xena with this. Also, as an adult, I specifically purchased a Spider-Man notebook for chemistry class. It has also served me well through physics, engineering, and math classes. Later on, I know I would take Care of Magical Creatures, and have a notebook with dragons on it for that class.
4By "weird," this might include such actions as "accidentally being an arsonist" and "transfiguring random crap around them." And so, by "adopted," I might really mean "spiriting away from becoming a Muggle with a criminal record."
5Having grown up with six brothers, Molly might even see this as an opportunity for Ginny to be able to become more "girly."
6Muggle to Witch, in this case, though mirroring Man to Woman.
7Others have pointed out how Hermione is clearly woman of color, based on descriptions and events in the book. I wish to chain these headcanons together in honor of the leaders of the Stonewall Riots.
Let's skip ahead to her fourth year. At one point, she has the chance to change an aspect of her appearance in a way that circumvents the longer, more "natural" methods. Ron, who has been close to her throughout her Hogwarts experience, voices a moment of clarity in which he remembers that she is, in fact, a girl, and therefore eligible for a gender-specific opportunity. Unfortunately, a newcomer, who was not there through this transition and may not be aware of her blood status, asks her to the ball first. There are a number of other women who are jealous of these events, with some seeming as though they she is undeserving of this honor. There are some that are happy for her.
As her story progresses, she takes more ownership of her life and is willing to take chances that put her more in the spotlight. She's caught up in a war that is targeting folks like herself. There are even laws passed to restrict Muggle-borns' access to basic rights. To infiltrate the Ministry, she disguises herself as a Ministry worker, who is probably of the proper blood status to continue working there.
During the epilogue, many have pointed out that Hermione and Ron's children have the most normal names. This might be because all of their children are adopted, possibly all Muggle-borns who were disowned by their Muggle families for being weird.4
Molly Weasley has always been portrayed as an extremely accepting mother figure. She has 7 children of her own and, despite not being very wealthy, gladly welcomes the friends of her children into her family. Also, based on statistics alone, there is a high chance of at least one of her children being queer. I can't help but seeing her as akin to the over enthusiastic PFLAG mom meme. Hermione tends to stay with Ginny, as both are women and Molly treats them both as such.5
One final aspect to consider is how this major life change could be classified: One might say that she transitioned from mtw.6
Sorry, JK Rowling, I don't make the rules. Muggle-borns are clearly transfolk, and Hermione is a transwoman of color.7
1Kinda like puberty blockers
2I'm sure that some Muggle-borns' parents have cast them out, or even submitted their kids to torture and/or death.
3If I was in that position, I would definitely return after the holiday break (or second year, depending on if I took a break) with obnoxious school supplies. That would mean pens and pencils, notebook paper, an Animorphs notebook for Transfiguaration, some naturey themed notebook for Herbology, Robert Lyn Nelson notebook for Astronomy, a glitter-covered notebook for Charms, something with Da Vinci designs for History of Magic, and the most happy-looking Lisa Frank notebook for Potions. While I do realize that I might have the time-frame of these pop culture things mixed up a little, I figured I just go full Xena with this. Also, as an adult, I specifically purchased a Spider-Man notebook for chemistry class. It has also served me well through physics, engineering, and math classes. Later on, I know I would take Care of Magical Creatures, and have a notebook with dragons on it for that class.
4By "weird," this might include such actions as "accidentally being an arsonist" and "transfiguring random crap around them." And so, by "adopted," I might really mean "spiriting away from becoming a Muggle with a criminal record."
5Having grown up with six brothers, Molly might even see this as an opportunity for Ginny to be able to become more "girly."
6Muggle to Witch, in this case, though mirroring Man to Woman.
7Others have pointed out how Hermione is clearly woman of color, based on descriptions and events in the book. I wish to chain these headcanons together in honor of the leaders of the Stonewall Riots.
no subject
Date: 2019-12-29 04:52 pm (UTC)From:~Sor
no subject
Date: 2019-12-31 05:41 pm (UTC)From: